“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, May 14, 2010

Foodie Friday: Contest! Can you make wow-worthy muffin?


Hey all! Not too long ago, I bought this cute little cookbook called, "1 Mix, 100 Muffins.” The premise of the cookbook is that you have one basic recipe and then the author gives 100 different variations. I've discovered it makes foolproof muffins...and I love muffins. My love affair started as a teenager making Jiffy muffins on a Saturday mornings. Then, when I went to college, there was this little corner cafe called, "Muffin Break.” My favorite was the Chocolate Chip Muffin. *sigh* They were sooooo good, like eating a chocolate chip cookie in muffin form (maybe that's why I gained 10 lbs my freshman year!). Unfortunately, the place closed and now a Bartell Drug store is in its place.

About a month ago, I made white chocolate chip, coconut and date muffins. I must say they were pretty good. Then recently, Debbie made cranberry coconut muffins and brought them to work. Hers were tasty, too. As she told me the recipe, I realized it was a variation of the basic muffin recipe from my cookbook. That gave me an idea! (visualize a light bulb just came on).

Well, here's my idea- I'm going to give you the basic muffin recipe. Over the weekend, come up with your own variation and then submit your variation to me via email. I will then try the recipes. My friends and I at First Baptist Counseling Ministry will vote. You have until Monday, May 17th to submit your recipe via email. I'll announce the winner next Friday. The winning recipe will get a $10 Starbucks card. Are you up for the challenge?

Email your version (and an optional photo of your creation) to my e-mail

Here's the basic recipe:

2 Cups flour

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1/8-teaspoon salt

Heaping 1/2 cup of sugar (your choice of sugar)

2 eggs

1 Cup milk (your choice of milk: buttermilk, cream, soy, etc.)

6 Tablespoons oil (again your choice: sunflower, canola, melted butter)

1 teaspoon extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 cup muffin pan or line with paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.

Lightly beat the eggs in a large pitcher or bowl, and then beat in the milk, oil, and vanilla extract.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined; do not over mix.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until well raised, golden brown and firm to touch.

Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment