“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Strong Elegant Women

I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be a woman lately.  In Church, as wives we are often told to be submissive. Unfortunately, the word has been twisted and used to keep women oppressed for centuries. Please understand me--I believe we should submit to our husbands. However, I am proposing that maybe we have been going about it wrong.  In Christian circles, it seems women are discouraged from pursuing their dreams in the name of "submission." As a result, women are polarized: either be a *stay at home mother who home schools (see below) to the "feminatzi." Can't there be a more balanced approach? 

Let's take a look at the Proverbs 31 woman:
  • Her husband trusts and respects her
  • She works outside of the home 
  • She takes care of her household 
  • She is a business woman
  • She is strong and smart
  • She helps the needy
  • Her children love her
When I read that verse, I see a woman who is intelligent, strong yet supportive to her husband. 

I think we need more strong elegant women as role models.  Here are some role models that have stood out for me. Not all of these women are married or confessing Christians but they exude grace, character and strength. 
Joni Eareckson Tada
from http://www.joniandfriends.org/
Condoleeza Rice
from http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2010-10-12-rice12_CV_N.htm
Laura Bush
from http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/firstlady/
Ann Curry
from http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/4515786/ns/today/
*I am in total support of the woman who stays home with her children and home-schools. I am opposed to setting that as the standard for the ideal Christian woman.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. With your balanced, well thought out approach I think you would enjoy reading what John and Stasi Elderidge (sp?) wrote about this same topic in their book "Captivating."

    JRo

    ReplyDelete